[Amps] how to measure tank

Rick Stealey rstealey at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 30 08:33:55 EST 2008

> What is the proper way to measure a pi network with a tracking generator and spectrum analyzer.
> I am mostly interested in the connections to the tank circuit.

One way is to hook up like the other guys are saying, but also put a directional coupler in
series with the tracking generator.  Any reflected power will show up in the coupled port,
where you attach the SA.
So you will see the sweep at the top of the trace out of band, and then it will dip down where
the tank is resonant meaning the power is transferred in to the resistive load at that freq.
I use a Narda microwave coupler for that purpose even though the coupling is WAY down
at HF frequencies, the SA is also a sensitive instrument.  Works.

Rick  K2XT