[Amps] High-Voltage Electrolytic Capacitors

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Wed Oct 22 13:59:21 EDT 2008

Good Day All,

I blew a fuse in my 2x813 HB kilowatt the other day, due to a shorted electrolytic capacitor in the filter "string" of the 2500-volts B+ p.s. (the darn things are some 30 years old already, and owe me nothing!).

Anyway, scrounging through my junque box revealed a beautiful set of 8 matching aluminum canned electolytics (220-pfd. at 350 WVDC) that will make a dandy back-up "plug & play" filter. I'm presently in the process of "re-forming" them all, one by one, and it still continues to amaze me just how long some of them take to "heal"...literally, hours.

I can only imagine what would sort of an explosion(s) may well have ensued, had I elected to simply "plug in" the new filter bank after the rectifiers, without first going through this process...

It's tiresome, tedious work, but SOMEONE has to do it, I guess, Hi Hi

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ