[Amps] Amplifier Input Circuit Consultation

n1wr at chesapeake.net n1wr at chesapeake.net
Thu Oct 23 13:03:17 EDT 2008

I continue to work on the design/construction of my 4-1000 amplifier.  I'm
working on the input network details.

The 4-1000 has a generally accepted input impedence of 100 ohms.  So I am
planning on using a 2:1 step up unbalanced to unbalanced balun followed by
a parallel tuned circuit, Q of 2-3, for each band.  Taking this approach I
will need only one relay contact per band to switch each tuned circuit (as
opposed to two needed to switch a pi network).

In all of my reading and research I haven't seen this approach taken.  The
grid compartment is under construction.  Before I go ahead and construct
the input this way - can anyone come up with a reason this won't work?

I thoroughly enjoy this list and faithfully tune in to the goings on.  I
really appreciate the help and support that is provided.

Wayne N1WR