[Amps] 180 ø Phase SHifter Off Topic

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Oct 30 15:27:51 EDT 2008

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 22:02:48 EDT, CAA357 at aol.com wrote:

>building or schematics of a wide  band 
>180 degree phase shifter

Do you mean a POLARITY inverter or PHASE shifter?  They are VERY 
different. PHASE is a function of frequency, while polarity is 
not. Polarity is nothing more than turning the waveform upside 
down at ALL frequencies. Some good ways to invert the polarity 
are 1) a conventional gain stage (not a "follower"); 2) a 
transformer. A polarity inverter 

Virtually all networks or transmission lines are extremely 
frequency sensitive. Polarity inverters are frequency-sensitive 
only to the extent that the gain stage or transformer is non-
ideal (that is, that it has stray L or C or both). 


Jim Brown K9YC

More information about the Amps mailing list