[Amps] 234v - to convert or not?

Bryan Swadener WA7PRC bswadener at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 00:47:02 EDT 2008

Hi Ken,

A 'stiff' HV is a very good thing for dynamic loads such as SSB.  It starts with the AC mains.  Back in the 70s, I bought a new-to-me Heath SB220 that was wired for 120V operation.  It didn't take long for me to realize 240V was the way to go... the HV had much better dynamic stability after the change.  Take a look at what the AC supply is doing under load.  If it sags the same percentage that the HV sags, there's your problem.

Fast-forward some 15 years and I noticed the HV on my SB220 began sagging under load.  New filter capacitors (replacing the 30 year old units) took care of the problem.  If providing 234V is easy, I recommend doing it.  If your HV still droops under load, take a look at the filter capacitor bank (dried-up electrolytics are common on older amplifiers).

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC