[Amps] AL-82

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 13:23:35 EDT 2008

I don't and never have owned an AL-82.   But if I were in the market
for an amp, that would probably be the one I'd try.   For one thing, I
like the plate power supply and the B+ it delivers which is I think, a
respectable 3.6 KV and 3.3 KV under load.   I'd try to find out what
transformer Ameritron is using now; if no longer Dahl, what?

I would certainly read the QST review of the AL-82 also.   One thing
that comes out in the review is that on some bands, the 82 needs a
pretty good shot of exciter RF to get to 1.5 Kw.   Around 130 watts if
I remember correctly.  For me, that's not a big deal because I am a
SSB operator (low duty cycle) and I have a exciter with a 200 w. PA.
 It might not be a problem for RTTY either because I imagine you'll
want to run it at 1/2 full output for that mode, but I thought I'd
mention it in case you were not aware of the amp's drive requirement.

73

rob / k5uj