[Amps] hv smps

Paul Decker kg7hf at comcast.net
Wed Apr 1 04:46:15 PDT 2009

Hi Jeff,

Just so you know, most of that power supply schematic is lifted from Tim Hulick W9QQ, and the RF deck is lifted from Dick Stevens W1QWJ.

I'm not sure it really turns out any cheaper, the core material alone is about $100 and if you don't have any hv wire, and sorts, that can add up pretty quick.   I was lucky enough to find some power mosfets on ebay , but pricing them new was about $10 each.   Add in a big filter cap on the primary $35, then the high speed secondary rectifier diode strings about $40.

For me, it was more about reducing the weight, I thought the 8 pound transformer and associated circuits would be neat.    The other part for me was that it would be a very intensive learning experience, building and working through the circuit in detail, winding the transformer and working with square waves, and other such none sense .

Paul, kg7hf

>>Given a decent 2KW TX alone can set easily set a guy back $400 or so, a
>>switching power supply seems the natural evolution for tube amps.  But
I' >> ve not seen a switcher in a tube amp yet.