[Amps] Silver plating

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Apr 8 21:56:08 PDT 2009

Gary Hinson wrote:
>> Does anyone here have any before and after comparisons of silver
>> plating HF tank coils? It seems most of the commercial amateur amp
>> makers do it but I have never seen any specific data. All comments
>> appreciated.
>>

> Hi Bill.
>
> Check this page: http://www.vhfdx.net/discuss/silverplating.html.

Having done silver plating back when I worked for a living,  I can vouch
that the chemicals are nasty.
I have forgotten the two specific chemicals, but IIRC they are solution
of silver Cyanide and potassium Cyanide. All I remember for sure is the
Cyanide part. <:-))  I worked in a locked room with fume hoods and
chemical gear.
Just immersing the Copper into the solution would give it a "flash
plating" that looked very nice.

I also plated coils made of 99.999 (5 nines) pure silver using a silver
nitrate and nitric acid solution which put a rough coat on them. It was
like a lot of tiny silver crystals.  Of course working with acids and
Cyanides in the same room made it more than a little hazardous for any
one not familiar with the process or what happens if the two were mixed.

One day we were having one of *those* inspections where every thing had
to be neat, clean, and safe! On of the maintenance guys noticed every
thing was still set up in that small lab and decided to "clean it up".
He had to talk the plant protection guy into letting him in.  He didn't
know what was in the two pails under the hood so he just poured them
together.  He said they foamed up and smoked a bit so he just carried
them outside to air out.  I don't think he ever realized (even after I
explained using lots of simple words for emphasis) how close he came to
having his wife cash in his insurance.

BTW there is a chemical mix that will flash plate by just wetting it and
then rubbing it on the copper. It is hazardous, but nothing like the
plating chemicals.

73

Roger (K8RI)