[Amps] High SWR

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Apr 23 01:39:01 PDT 2009

James R Carr wrote:
> One could use ladder line. It's relatively lossless and can handle gobs of
> hi voltage.
> Jim
> N7FCF

Why not.  I typically have been using LMR-400 on center fed dipoles for
75 and a half sloper on 160 across the entire bands with the aid of a
tuner at the rig end of the coax and using an Alpha to pump about 1500
PEP in.  SWR runs on the order of 3:1 or a bit higher on 75 at the band
edges and considerably higher than that on 160.  I've never had a
problem and those voltages are considerably higher than 600.  Actually I
run a KW into LMR-240 on 40 meters, across the entire band.  I've also
tried it on 75 with both LMR-240 and RG8X with the dual shield.  I've
found I'm much more likely to lose an N-connector than the cable.

Admittedly there is a big difference between DC voltages and RF, but we
really need to specify the frequency being used as any specific coax can
handle much more RF voltage at 160 than at 30 or 50 MHz.  I use RG8
style coax to handle as high as 4KV DC, but that'd be more than pushing
my luck at 50 MHz. I think I'd also be more than pushing the legal limits.

73

Roger (K8RI)