[Amps] High SWR

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 23:39:18 PDT 2009

Gary Smith wrote:
> I have been told that a high swr on a yagi antenna reduces the front
>to back ratio.  Any truth (facts?) to support this info?

None.

Improper installation can allow RF currents to flow on the outside of
the feedline and/or the boom. This will change the radiation pattern,
filling in nulls and possibly reducing the front/back radio.

RF currents on the outside of the feedline will also change the
impedance at the antenna feedpoint, usually resulting in a higher VSWR.

Feedline radiation and high VSWR often occur together; but high VSWR
does not *cause* feedline radiation.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek