[Amps] Fw: High SWR = Baluns actually

herzog@frontiernet.net@frontiernet.net herzog at frontiernet.net
Sat Apr 25 14:36:40 PDT 2009

Herzog K2LB says: Harris just got an ethics award.
Here are two cases from over 20 years ago to show how they earned it.
I tell this because these are common problems that our amps face.

One was where I showed them how the easiest and best answer to the
problem of baluns burning out was to simply delete the balun.
It cost us sales, but the resulting 10 percent unbalance of the dipole
resulted in the vertical component filling in the ground pattern for
near stations, not counting on skip.  This was with a dipole with open
feeders, then the balun, and then an antenna coupler/tuner, with coax to
the one W output transmitter, 2 to 30 Mhz.

The other was where the output of said transmitter would arc in it's
output tuned "tank" sections, due to self resonance of the unused coils.
I designed a replacement without that problem, that also added a lo-pass
filter for harmonics. We didn't think of where to get such a bandswitch
that would short out all the un-used open coils, but my boss told me to
tell them the whole story, and they found the bandswitch addition that
shorted out the coils, and we swallowed my design.