[Amps] Fw: High SWR = Baluns actually- back to amps!!

herzog@frontiernet.net@frontiernet.net herzog at frontiernet.net
Sat Apr 25 21:07:56 PDT 2009

RE:
REPLY:

FWIW - I had a similar unwanted resonance problem in the unused coils,
but mine was caused when the unused coils WERE shorted out. I rewired
it so they were no longer shorted out and the problem went away.
73, Bill W6WRT
========
I can believe it, probably was a case of inductive coupling of the
coils, verses capacitance. Guess nothing is ever as simple as we like to
think!!   K2LB

AND===This problem reared its ugly face when 160 meters went QRO, and
the WARC
bands were added. An 80-40-20-15-10 meter design was very forgiving. You
could use military/commercial band switches from WW II, and with even a
not so perfect layout, you came out just fine.
========== Yeah, but military transmitters hit all frequencies, so
harder to hide!
Quote:
(((73)))
Phil, K5PC
I built several QRO amps, attempting to go 160-10 meters, and the band
switch always arced and melted down; usually on the 40-meter tap. The
problem is the Tesla effect. It can happen on any section of the tank
coil.
===
I like your term Tesla coil, because it is good for the understanding.
Cute!!  K2LB