[Amps] Henry 3K-A 'gotchas'?

Dave Harmon k6xyz at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 2 19:03:20 PDT 2009

My 3K-A has been running steadily since I picked it up new at the factory in
L.A. in 78'.
In 80' I installed a Jennings vacuum relay and an Agastat timer to keep the
blower running for 5 minutes after shut down.
All the features you mentioned work well.
It still has the original Eimac tubes.
Oh....it came with some bogus set of chimneys so I took them back and
demanded proper chimneys which they promptly forked over.
The down side if there is one is the overload relay.
They just are not available....but then I haven't needed one either.
Other than that I don't think there are any special components in it.
There are at least 2 different power supply versions and schematics of this
unit.
The changes are meter diode protection and single oil filled lytic instead
of discretes.
I think you will find that the 3K-A has more suds available than almost all
of today's amps and is more rugged and better built than any amp from 30
years ago.
This amp is limited only by the available drive wattage.
Typically, if your exciter has enough power to drive the unit to 280ma on
the grid, you can tune and load to 1A @ 4KV.
Truly a California KW.

Regards

Dave Harmon