[Amps] 200 watt rigs

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 20:53:01 PDT 2009

I used to wonder why anyone would want a 200 w. PA with a transceiver,
then I got one.  Now I do not consider purchasing a rig unless it has
at least 200 w. p.e.p. output.  (Actually I may never buy another
solid state rig again but that's another story.)

Reasons: 1.  Use amp less.  2.  If amp fries out I'm not completely
shut down.  3.  200 w. PA great for driving pair 3-500s--enough drive,
75 to ~110 w. depending, but exciter stays relatively cool.  4.  Rig
can put out 20 w. AM carrier all day long, 35 w. for local daytime
QSOs.

73

Rob K5UJ