[Amps] Plate Bypass Capacitor

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Wed Aug 5 07:50:32 PDT 2009

David C. Hallam wrote:
> Manfred,
>
> Maybe my nomenclature of plate bypass capacitor is incorrect.  It is
> capacitor connected to the DC feed end of the plate choke.  I have never
> seen a capacitor of that large value used for that application.  In my
> experience, they are usually a 0.001 uF.

This is generally called a 'blocking' capacitor. As this is a high-impedance part of the
circuit there is no reason for such a large value, and 0.001 uf would be fine unless the
amplifier covers 160 meters, in which case something slightly larger might not hurt.

The value of this capacitor isn't that critical and current rating is usually not a
problem either. Voltage rating IS very important because a failure could put HV on the
antenna connector.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco