[Amps] How do you measure HV with reasonable accuracy?

Jim Barber audioguy at charter.net
Thu Aug 6 18:16:21 PDT 2009

I need a HV probe with reasonable accuracy for working on this growing
stack of hamplifiers. I have a Simpson 260 and know some of those
pitfalls, and a 40KV CRT chicken stick that's probably +,- 20% on a good
day.

How about:
(1) Five hand-selected 1M, 2-watt in series on a PCB or perfboard

(2) Bring out two HV connectors from the "bottom-most" resistor in the
chain and then use a precision 1KV FET meter or VTVM, reading it as "x5"
(I already have the meters)

Any better ideas? It probably won't see much over 4KV.

Thanks,
Jim, N7CXI