[Amps] Plate Bypass Capacitor

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 07:52:54 PDT 2009

You may be thinking of the 6293 which is a special version of the 6146 that was made for pulse modulator service.  The 6293 can take up to 3000 volts on the plate.

Also, the 6293 is an excellent replacement for the 6146 and 6146A/8298 and will generally last between 5 times and 10 times longer than the 6146 and 6146A/8298 when run using the same parameters.  The prices for the 6293 are usually about the same as for the 6146 and 6146A/8298 from the various tube "sellers" on the Internet.

Also, the 6146 and 6146A/8298 are rated at 600 volts maximum when used in plate modulated AM service.

The 6146B/8298A is really a different tube from the 6146 and 6146A/8298.  The 6146B/8298A is rated at 120 watts input for Class C in CW and FM service, at 120 watts input for AB-1 and AB-2 (for SSB service), and at 90 watts input for Class C plate modulated service.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com