[Amps] 240V Outlet

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Aug 9 16:50:37 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin A Flynn" <maflynn at att.net>
To: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac at arrl.net>
Cc: "AMPS List" <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 09, 2009 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Amps] 240V Outlet

> Paul Christensen wrote:ice.
>>>    * To oversize the wire by at least one gauge size (on a 20 amp
>>>      circuit, use #10 wire instead of the #12) to address potential
>>>      voltage drop issues.
>> It's been a while since I've reviewed that section of the NEC, but I
>> suspect over-sizing the wire size is fine, but I would never oversize
>> the breaker current rating, nor would I over-size on the receptacle
>> and plug.  In the latter case, I've seen instances where a 20-amp
>> 120VAC receptacle is used, but the conductors are sized at #14 AWG.
>> Looking at the receptacle gives the incorrect impression that the
>> branch is rated for 20-amps, when in fact it's only rated at 15-amps.
>> The breaker rating, wire size, receptacle and plug should all match
>> the intended current-carrying capacity.
> Paul,
> The breaker and  device are the same rating.  My comment was to state
> that his recommendation was to make the conductors and ground one wire
> gauge larger then NFPA 70 states it should be.
>
> Martin

That only makes sense if the I*R drop is excessive. Since the Invader 2000
is only going to draw about half the ratings of #12 wire, then going to #10
makes little sense on a basement long run. Going to #10 requires all
different plugs and outlets and the cost about goes thru the roof compared
to a 20A feed.

I wouldnt bother with a 4 wire feed either. Simply reconfigure the PS to
conform.

My amp repair shop runs #12 and so does my station. The shop gets many amps
that easily run 2500W out and some a lot more, and the 240V drop is minimal.

Of course if money is no object then all bets are off.

Carl
KM1H