[Amps] 240V Outlet

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Aug 9 21:58:26 PDT 2009

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 17:28:51 -0700, Dino Darling wrote:

>When speaking of wire size and circuit protection, we are really talking
>about the MINIMUM requirements.

>True?

YES. The NEC is quite clear on this. It's a safety issue.

There is a very good reason for pulling bigger wire if the circuit will be
heavily loaded, and it isn't heat, it's regulation. Nearly all electronic
loads draw currents that are short pulses at the top (and bottom) of the
sine wave to charge filter caps, so the instantaneous current is typically
a lot larger than the average current, and that instantaneous current
causes both waveform distortion and poorer voltage regulation.

I strongly agree with W9AC on the issue of safety. Do what you must to FIX
THIS AMPLIFIER (and anything else you have that has this design fault). It
violates current building codes, and it does create a condition that is
potentially unsafe.

There is also the issue of hum and noise -- extra bonds between neutral and
ground also create magnetic fields that couple hum into your equipment, and
they contribute to power line buzz in your equipment.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC