[Amps] Carbon film or metal oxide film resistors for low-power RF circuits?

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 16:34:11 PDT 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:06:41 -0700, Jim Barber <audioguy at charter.net> wrote:

>Looking for opinions, of course. I find myself replacing carbon
>composition units all the time, and was wondering if metal-oxide would
>be "better" than carbon-film for these purposes.

REPLY:

Either metal-film or metal-oxide resistors are significantly more stable than
carbon comp. Their only possible disadvantage is that some values may exhibit
more inductance than carbon because the film is sometimes trimmed in a spiral,
creating a tiny inductor. It is very small but at UHF it may be significant.
Just something to keep in mind.

73, Bill W6WRT