[Amps] HV Measuring.

Alek Petkovic vk6apk at bigpond.com
Sun Aug 16 22:40:21 PDT 2009

I've always used a junk box transformer and fed the 5V or 6.3V AC
secondary into the primary of the hv transformer / dc supply and
measured the exact AC input and the exact DC output.

I then measure the exact mains volts, divide that by the low primary
volts that I previously recorded.

Then I simply multiply that result by the dc output I measured to get
my final, no load hv reading.

The most dangerous part of the exercise is the measurement of the
mains AC voltage.

No need for a hv probe. Just a mains rated multimeter.

73, Alek.
VK6APK