[Amps] [Heathkit] The SB-220

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Aug 23 07:24:08 PDT 2009

Amen to that.

The huge majority of amps that I buy for 6M conversion are 100% untouched by
voodo science and have no signs of problems ever.

OTOH, a few with directly grounded grids Ive bought real cheap since a tube,
meter, bandswitch, zener, or all the above is blown.

I can guarantee that any SB-220 that is acting up can trace the problem to
out of tolerance suppressors, dirt, nicotine. Voodo kits will work and so
will new resistors, its a matter of choice as neither offers more than the
other.

Keeping the grids above ground enough to reduce tube gain a bit is still the
best way for long term stability with any brand and combination of tubes.

I realize that most on here dont own a spectrum analyzer and many dont have
a clue about neutralization. While the SB-220 is pretty stable as designed
it can take off under some tuning conditions, tuners, antennas, etc. No
amount of nichrome will help. Reducing gain will. Or adding a neutralizing
circuit which isnt worth the effort.

If some want to create a cottage industry by offering unneeded modifications
to the unknowing then go for it. Its the American way and P.T. Barnum would
be proud.

Thats simply not my ethic.

Heath had a service bulletin to keep the filament transformer from burning
out when a fault occurs. This affects 240V operation only and is a simple
rewiring at the switch. Later kits had the change.

Carl
KM1H