[Amps] TH347 filament ramping

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Fri Aug 28 15:17:15 PDT 2009

Carl, that was a price quoted by Freeland Products, a tube rebuilder in the
 New Orleans LA area. New tubes were around $6K from Richardson Electronics
the  last time I checked. There will be no new TH347 tubes in my future!

I have seen pulls for around $200 in Europe but they typically will run a
maximum of 1.2A plate current where a good tube will run 1.9 to 2 A. Even at
 1.2A they will output 1500W or more so a pull my be ok depending on what
you are  looking for.

A recent batch of four pulls yielded one tube that did 2000W out, one that
did 1500W out, one that did 900W out and one that arced and sparked, not
recoverable.

At this rate, a good pull is worth $400 to $800 depending on how good it
is.

I have, as suggested, considered running the tube with low filament voltage
 when off. My operating style may keep me away from 1296MHz for several
weeks at  a time so I am not sure I would get a benefit from the low voltage.

Too many bands, not enough time!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 8/28/2009 4:53:45 P.M. Central Daylight Time,