[Amps] SB-220 bias question

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Aug 29 21:17:43 PDT 2009

> If the amplifier was then used on SSB driven by a human
> voice, the only time the amp would _not_ be mis-tuned is
> when the human voice peak drove the amp to exactly the
> same level as the peak of the tone used for tun-up.
>
> That seems wacky to me.

No ... with SSB the plate load impedance is dynamic as
opposed to static (a single value) with CW or RTTY.  For
SSB or any other amplitude modulated emission, the
calculation of plate load impedance includes the plate
conduction angle and average (dynamic) Ep/Ip ratio.

The tank (flywheel) effect of the output network smoothes
the impedance swings.

With On/Off keying or FSK, Ep/Ip is constant there is no
dynamic variation.