[Amps] HL-2K

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Aug 30 20:35:52 PDT 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 22:48:11 -0700, Kevin LaHaie wrote:

>I have an HL-1K from THP, and the power cord is only 2 conductors.  The
>manual gives wiring schemes for 100v, 110v, 117/120v, 200v,220v, and
>234/240v.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish

Select the Tutorial about Power and Grounding for audio and video systems, or
the Ham Interfacing power point. The stuff about power amps and neutrals is
about halfway through the power point.

This amp is typical of a high power product designed to be used anywhere in the
world -- that's why there are multiple primary windings on the power
transformer. If you want to run it on 240 volts in the US, you wire those
primaries for 240V, then you connect them to the two "hot" wires, which are
really the opposite ends of a 120V-0-120V centertapped transformer out on a pole
in your alley. The chassis of the power amp is wired to the green wire in the
power cord, which must be connected to the third pin in the power outlet.

Modern power amps can run on 120V OR 240V, but they do not need both. As others
have noted, NEVER make a connection between that green wire (the chassis) and
the power line neutral.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC