[Amps] SB-220 bias question

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Aug 30 22:20:34 PDT 2009

> That was not the original question. The gentleman asked if he
> tuned up at 1500 watts output and then reduced the drive so
> the output was now 800 watts, would that harm anything? You
> answered yes it would cause harm and you were mistaken. It
> won't. Retuning was not part of his question.

If you don't retune the output network when operating in a
continuous power mode (CW or RTTY) at a lower power level,
the loading will be incorrect.  Linearity may or may not
suffer, efficiency will certainly suffer, and since the
the math or taking measurements in an intentionally miss-
tuned amplifier what the voltages/currents in the tank
are.

One thing is certain, improper loading has caused more
damage to amplifiers than any other cause.  Intentionally
mistuning an amplifier is, to quote the President, "stupid."