[Amps] Dummy Loads & Wattmeters

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Dec 3 11:02:52 PST 2009

Using a VNA it is possible to calibrate Birds, directional couplers, pads,
cables. etc, at any frequency to within the instruments accuracy. Since the
80's, power accuracy is +/- .5 dB or better and frequency linearity is +/-
.2 dB.

That is close enough to keep most happy.

The 436A power meter accuracy in dBm mode is +/- .02dB

Using available instruments it is then possible to take any Bird line
section and compatible element and use your own garden variety 50 ua meter
as the indicating device. Using Jim Tonnes software any scale desired can be
created including a red zone so element ratings are not exceeded.

Carl
KM1H