[Amps] Step-start and 3-500Z filament life

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Dec 5 20:25:48 PST 2009

> I understand why turning a tube's filaments off and on repeatedly
> shortens the tube's useful life. However, I'm not clear about the
> effects of doing this when a step-start circuit is included (as in
> the Harbaugh step-start kit, which I have installed in my
> 6m-converted SB-220).

   I think of "step-start" as applying to the plate supply, to minimize the initial capacitor
charging current and preventing a hV over shoot, and inrush limiting to be applied to initial
filament heating, does the Harbaugh step-start kit effect both?
--
    Ron  KA4INM - The only real problem is death is so final.