[Amps] Conservation of Energy!

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 6 17:38:28 PST 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 15:33:21 +0000, "K1TTT" <K1TTT at ARRL.NET> wrote:

>Well, actually you could make some argument that running on 120v instead of
>240v increases the I^2R losses in both the transformer and power line to the
>amp.  But I doubt that you would notice that in your electric bill without
>careful testing.

REPLY:

Thanks for posting that, Dave, you beat me to it.

Those guys on 40 meters are right. Other things being equal, for a given power
output, running anything off 240 volts is more efficient than running it off
120, due to I-squared-R losses in the AC line. Whether or not that's what they
had in mind is not known, but their conclusion was and is correct.

73, Bill W6WRT