[Amps] TITAN II tuning and loading padder capacitors

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 7 12:45:52 PST 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 11:51:08 -0500, "David J Windisch" <davidjw at cinci.rr.com>
wrote:

>Tks to all who have replied.
>
>I found some caps on ebay which appear suitable:
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/470-pF-16-KV-Doorknob-Capacitors-Brand-New-Lot-of-5_W0QQitemZ200411424661QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea973a795
>
>Comments, please?

REPLY:

Those look like what I used in my homebrew 8877 amp. They do drift some when
used as load padders, but not enough to bother me. On 160 meters (worst case
band) when properly tuned up the grid current will start about 50 mA and drift
down to about 40 mA over a period of 15 seconds or so. I do see a tiny change in
power output, about the width of the meter's needle at mid scale.

If I remember right, I used four of them as padders on 160.

73, Bill W6WRT