[Amps] Chinese DIN connectors

Jeff Blaine AC0C keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 13:56:08 PST 2009

Vic,

That is a great idea.  I worked in a board-mount shop in college and we
would put al clips on heat sensitive parts (including pins).  But this
potato idea is great - especially for these small parts where it's just not
practical to put the clips on - or the clip is too far removed to be of
benefit.

Another method I use is to put the plug into a matching socket, and then
solder on the wires.  That way, even if the pins melt the plastic around
them, the socket tends to hold the part more or less inline.  And the socket
tends to have metal as the mating surface which keeps the socket plastic
from softening.  There' not heat sinking in this application though - so get
on, get busy, and get off is the watch word.  Need to have a junkbox with
sockets though.  Potato is universal - and you can eat it after you finish.
:)

73/jeff/ac0c