[Amps] Isolation Transformer

David C. Hallam dhallam at rapidsys.com
Sun Dec 13 15:42:42 PST 2009

I recently picked up a medical grade 3KVA toroidal isolation
transformer.  It has dual primaries and secondaries so in addition to
being a isolation transformer it can be used as a step up/down
transformer.  I had two ideas in mind.  One was to use it as a 1:1
isolation transformer when working on radios with a hot chassis.  The
other was to use it as a 2:1 step down transformer for a linear map I
have with a 120V primary transformer.  This thing draws too much current
to use on 120V unless you have a special dedicated line.  With this
transformer I could step down a 240V line to 120V.  Since this is an
isolation transformer, I am assuming I would need to have a direct
ground connection for the amp.  I am I correct or is something else needed?

David
KW4DH
--
National Health Insurance