[Amps] "Stacking" power supplies?? how?

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Mon Dec 14 08:31:20 PST 2009

chas wrote:
> How do I connect three 30A power supplies together so as to obtain 90A ?
>
> I would assume it would be parallel but I cannot believe it is as simple as
> daisy chaining three auto batteries - pos to pos to pos, etc
>
> either I am having a severe case of CRS or my logic meter has shut down.
>
> thanks for any simplistic explanation forthcoming

Some regulated supplies have 'sense' terminals which, when connected together, assure that
the output voltages will track. I had two Astron RS-70 12 volt supplies that I used to
power a solid-state amp. that had terminals for this.

Without such a connection, it MIGHT be possible with similar supplies if you adjust the
output voltages to be as close as possible and strap the supplies in parallel. I haven't
tried this!

Someone can probably tell you where in the regulator circuitry to go to add a sense
connection for supplies that don't have this feature.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco