[Amps] Question about GS-35b efficiency

Jim Barber audioguy at charter.net
Thu Dec 17 22:45:21 PST 2009

And I'd like to hear more about expectations of what a single GS-35B
will do under in-spec operating conditions. Bill's numbers are in-spec
at the edge of the published limits. My question has to do with how many
hours can expect to get out of one run at those limits. I've heard 500
hours - not enough!

The reason I ask is because I'm considering retiring/selling off my
PA77's and spare 8877's due to age and high eventual replacement costs.
The problem is - what to replace them with? 3-500's are the current
price/performance kings and I already own a 3KA, but what new or newer
3-500 amp performs in the same league as the PA77 or the 3KA? Then
there's always the new solid-state stuff... The ALS1300 looks very
tempting at the street price, but I wouldn't exactly put it in the same
overall manufacturing quality category as the others mentioned here.

I may have just convinced myself that there's no "best" answer. I
suppose to summarize I'm getting a bit nervous about long-term cost and
availability of ceramic Eimacs, as well as *any* continued availability
of Russian surplus tubes. Perhaps an 'elite class' solid-state amp will
appear somewhere on the market?

Solid-state... Admittedly 'biased' gut reaction: Blech! Oh wait... Maybe
they're actually biasing those things these days. ;-)

73,
Jim, N7CXI