[Amps] Response the "QSK switching time"

Alex Eban alexeban at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 00:18:37 PST 2009

There's one more reason why there's need of such a high voltage, on the
order of 1000VDC on the diodes and not only on the transmit diode!
When back biased a diode exhibits a varactor effect: it acts as a
capacitance, whose magnitude is inversely proportional with the applied
voltage. Even a few Pico farads in series with the receive path can have a
disastrous effect on the receiver. Sooo the receive path has to be back
biased by high voltage too!
This characteristic is exhibited even by the very highest quality PIN
diodes, like those manufactured by Chelton especially for the purpose. I
know: I used them when I was working, designing multikilowatt amplifiers for
the army.
BTW the bias supply should be quite beefy: the current transients of
charging and discharging this inherent capacitance are quite respectable so
that when working QSK, the dynamic regulation of the bias supply had better
be good, and the switching transistors also should be able to handle pulses
in the ampere range, albeit brief in duration.
Alex	4Z5KS