[Amps] water cooling tips

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Dec 23 13:33:33 PST 2009

John Lyles wrote:
> Jim Tonne is correct, not only for the filter but for the bottles that clean up big cooling loops. They call this technique a sliptstream process, where it is a side loop with about 5-10% of the main flow. We use Culligan unibed and oxygen bottles in what is called a polishing loop, the two of them not only remove ionics but also oxygen from the water. In larger tubes that can boil water (like vapor and multiphase cooling), Eimac adn the other manufacturers want very low dissolved oxygen as well.
>
> Pure DI water can get as resistive as 18 Megohm-cm, which is about the theoretical limit. This water would be very difficult on fittings and metals as it will scavenge ions, which causes migration through the hoses, and can plate the metal ions elsewhere. It is very difficult to maintain this perfect water in this condition, as it degrades as it strips whatever ions it can through the cooling system.
Even the lower resistivity DI or distilled water will eventually leach
out the brass fittings such as hose barbs leaving them a red color that
is very brittle to the point you can crush/crumble them by hand.
However nearly all fittings are now available in plastic if you aren't
running too much pressure.

73

Roger (K8RI)