[Amps] AL-82 question

David J Windisch davidjw at cinci.rr.com
Sat Dec 26 11:22:52 PST 2009

Happy New Year, all:

On a 7- or 8-year-old AL-82 I just tested, I noticed that, with the amp's relay pulled in, but no drive applied, the grid-current meter showed 50-70mA upscale, all bands, and zero with the relay de-energized.  There was no r-f output.

With drive applied, it has full output on 160-10M, with normal grid (upscale) and plate currents.

The resting plate current responded properly to the c-w/ssb switch setting.

The manual says nothing about "resting" grid current, only resting plate current.

Anyone out there have any ideas about what's going on?

Tia and brgds,

Dave, W8FGX