[Amps] Variac repairs

texasrf at aol.com texasrf at aol.com
Sat Dec 26 19:16:43 PST 2009

Steve, I have seen that smoking variac problem a couple of times and both
times were due to my wiring error.

If you somehow connect 120vac between the wiper and one end of  the
winding, as you rotate the shaft the 120vac gets connected to fewer and  fewer
turns until smoke is released.

Others have mentioned how to repair the unit.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 12/26/2009 3:38:23 P.M. Central Standard Time,