[Amps] Ameritron AL-80A Receive muted - relay?

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 27 06:25:13 PST 2009

I can't disagree with the advice to use the proper material for cleaning relay contacts. However:

Many moons ago when I was a young sprog working for Cable and Wireless one of my less pleasant jobs happened each Saturday when I had to clean the contacts of the hundreds of polarised relays on the TOR (teleprinter over radio) equipment. We used undulator tape which is a strong paper about 2cm wide - ends up with holes in it corresponding to Murray code characters. We only used a contact burnisher if the contact was pitted - and if it was badly pitted we changed it.

Seemed to work OK and since then I have usually used strong paper for contact cleaning. Of course the modern chemical products work like magic as well - and I haven't seen a relay with changeable contacts for years!

73 Roger
VE3ZI