[Amps] B&W 852 tank inductor question

David J Windisch davidjw at cinci.rr.com
Thu Dec 31 07:56:17 PST 2009

Happy New Year, everybody.

I have one of these B&W 852 tank inductors, 3-1000Z, 250pF tuning capacitor, 2nF air loading cap, and everything else needed for 80-10M, *stuffed* into a nice enclosure.

Now I'd like to include 160M, as well as fix the not-quite-enough-inductance problem on 80M described in the AMPS archives.

It appears that, on 80M, another 1-2uH needs to be added to the 852.

Another 8uH on top of that for 160M, for a total tank L of about 16-17uH, will take care of 160M.

I can fit an extra contact onto the 852 to switch in the added inductance (with 80M tap) for 160M, and fit another switch section onto the 852 shaft, to take care of padding capacitors for tuning and loading on 160M.

In order to stay within physical bounds, and before I start tearing things up, could the added inductor be concentric with, and inside, the 80M turns on the 852 (I have some big Airdux wound with #10 wire which fits), or would it be better wound outside, which would still fit within the enclosure?

Tia & brgds,
Dave Windisch, W8FGX