[Amps] Internal QSK-5

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Feb 1 12:02:56 EST 2009

Kim,

I was using the schematics for the QSK-5 at BAMA and comparing
the functions to the DEO QSK-1500 that I was very familiar with
a lifetime ago <G>.

The PIN-5 should be very similar to internal circuit board in
QSK-5.  If I recall, W8JI did the QSK-5 for Ameritron and then
adapted the "guts" for the amplifiers.  The installation info
for the "internal" versions of the QSK-5 should be of some help
in matching the schematic/functions.

Any pin T/R switch for an amplifier has three functions ...
the transceiver to input path, the output to antenna path
and the "bypass" path.  Even though the amplifier has a
mechanical T/R relay you need the bypass path to provide
quick restoration of receive.  In general the T/R relay is
put into the "transmit" mode when the amplifier is taken
out of standby and the diodes to all the switching ... you
will notice that one of the high voltage FETs is used to
switch bias in the amplifier ...

> There was no internal arc in the amp -- I had a failure out
> at the antenna that resulted in a big mismatch that blew the
> fuse lamps.

This happens because the RF voltage gets higher than the
reverse bias in the "receive" path.  The diodes are no
longer cut off and they begin to conduct.  If the voltage
gets high enough, the diodes or the control circuit (one
of the transistors) can be damaged.  The reverse voltage
rating of the diodes can be exceeded even without an external
arc.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV