[Amps] Glitch Resistor

Phil Clements philc at texascellnet.com
Mon Feb 2 16:52:21 EST 2009

>     Just curious (and yes I have read Orr et al)- Why is 50 ohms the
> (supposed) target value for glitch?  I use a pair of 25 ohm 50w in
> parallel
> on one GS35b amp, and my latest one uses a single 10 ohm 110w Ohmite.  No
> flashovers in either (well, the first one did before I discovered the need
> for glitch protection, hi).  I understand the higher the R the lower the
> current surge during a glitch but 50 ohms still seems a bit high to me.

There is no "Universal" value glitch resistor. Just like there is no such
thing as a generic parasitic suppressor, or plate choke. All of these things
must be tailored to the circuit that you are putting them in. Some of the
data needed in designing a glitch resistor is the voltage and joules
available from the power supply. There are many posts and articles
available.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC