[Amps] Glitch resistor

DAVE WHITE mausoptik at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 2 18:04:47 EST 2009

I used four 100 ohm resistors in two sets of two in series and parallel - i.e. total glitch resistor of 100 ohms.  There's also a 2A HRC fuse in the HT line.  Sure, the HT drops a bit under load but at least I know that there shouldn't be too much damage if anything flashes over.

The only time I blew the fuse I was being a biyt over-enthusiastic with the driver.  What is it about the words "CQ CONTEST" at 0001z on a Friday night that cause fuses to blow?  I never figured that bit out....

Sorry, I mis-read your original post as using resistance wire as an alternative - i.e. winding yor own resistor - not just wire as a fuse.  As people have pointed out, the glitch resistor limits current whereas a fuse does nothing till it goes "pop".  In many cases, an incorrectly voltage rated fuse will just continue to arc after it's blown anyway

Jandek in Germany also used to sell 50 ohm high wattage carbon resistors very cheaply too, though I don't have his phone number to hand.

cheers