[Amps] SB-220 and Xfrmr Smoke...Part 2

Jeff Carter amps at hidden-valley.com
Wed Feb 4 16:04:53 EST 2009

Hi all,

First, thanks for all the feedback.

I bought another SB-220 chassis that had a filament transformer on it,
so now I've got a replacement.

Next question: I am trying to create a test for the replacement
transformer that doesn't involve installing it.  My problem is that
even the bad one worked with the tubes out of the circuit.  Without
the filaments, there isn't enough current draw for a fair test.  I
don't think I have anything else to serve as a test that would draw
that much current without burning up.

It's the tubes I'm trying to protect, because I just plopped down
nearly $400 for the matched pair.

Am I being too paranoid about the tubes, and the only way to know if
it works is to wire it in and cross my fingers?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jeff/KD4RBG