[Amps] Plate Choke Values

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Feb 5 09:00:23 EST 2009

In the old days of Class C and early SSB a 10X reactance was the norm
for the choke.

As bands were added (15M took out the National R-175 for example and
resulted in the R-175A) and since the late 60's the reactance went down
to the 3-5X range. In those cases the choke actually becomes part of the
tank circuit. You cant go by the calculated reactance either as
distributed and stray C changes things in the real world. Sweep any of
the modern chokes and you will see how close to smoke many are on a band
or three.

You then wind up with having to install sufficient C as the choke bypass
as electrolytics really object to RF. Hang a HV scope probe on some so
called well designed amps and take a look. And then understand why those
brands are notorious for premature filter failures.

I suggest a pair of .0047's or a .01 as the choke bypass, Then a
vitreous enamel WW glitch resistor and another .01 to be sure of a clean
HV. The resistor uses nichrome wire which has its own L and acts as a
secondary choke to any funny stuff that gets by L-1.

Mouser carries Vishay 6KV discs as well as the resistors at very
reasonable prices.

Carl
KM1H