[Amps] 3CX800 filament voltage

Colin Lamb k7fm at teleport.com
Mon Feb 9 11:55:53 PST 2009

When converting my Alpha 76A to use 2 3CX800A7 tubes, I needed a new filament transformer.  The problem was that there was very little space inside the amp.  Using appropriate ham ingenuity, I solved the problem inexpensively.  I found two small, surplus 8 volt @ 2 amp transformers for a few dollars at a surplus house.  Stacked them on top of each other and they fit in the amp with 1/4" to spare.  Then inserted the appropriate resistor in the primary to drop the voltage to 13.5.  That cushions the starting current nicely and left lots of cash in my pocket.

73,  Colin  K7FM