[Amps] 3CX800 filament voltage

Colin Lamb k7fm at teleport.com
Mon Feb 9 14:03:07 PST 2009

"Stacking transformer in an Alpha amp???? That's really tacky."

Wait a minute.  Have you seen the finished unit?  Prior to do doing my conversion, I saw a converted Alpha that had the filament transformer bolted onto the back.  Now, that was tacky.

The transformers I used were beautifully made, but surplus.  I fabricated all the brackets needed with my shear and brake and the whole assembly looks quite nice.  I doubt if my amp would be graded down on points with another amp using a specially made transformer.

And, I figure if my body does not have OEM parts, there is no good reason for my amp to be so limited.  Sometimes making do with what is available is half the fun.  I still remember driving home in a snowstorm in my van that had a leaky carb float.  There were no repair parts so I ran a gas line into the passenger compartment with a valve, gave it to my wife and told her when to turn it on and off.  My wife still laughs about it 25 years later.  You would really be surprised knowing what I had to do on the high seas to keep the sailboat going.

73,  Colin  K7FM