[Amps] Quieting SB-1000

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Sun Feb 15 11:34:40 PST 2009

Gudguyham at aol.com wrote:
> The AL-80A is the same amp as the SB-1000 and I had one in here for repair
> and it needed a new fan too.  Needless to say I found out  that  changing the
> fan was no easy task.  I refused to remove the transformer and  painstakingly
> replaced the old fan with a new one, and indeed it was necessary  somehow to
> glue or tape the nuts to the fan before installation.  It truly  was a
> nightmare.  I think I had to hack up the old fan pretty bad to get it  out.  As I
> recall it was a nightmare to replace that fan, but I did do it  without removing
> the transformer.  I recall making a slight groove in the  side chassis so I
> could get a long screwdriver into the work area to tighten one  screw.  Replacing
> this fan is certainly NOT a job for the faint of  heart!  Needless to say I
> said a few choice words during this  process!  My mother would have surely put
> soap in my mouth if she heard me  while doing this job!!
> Vic, sorry about your transformer hum, but transformers usually hum because
> they don't know the words. :-)  Lou

Getting a good shot at the screws is hard, thanks to the filament and plate chokes. I
think I had an easier time than you...the screws were not that tight to begin with so the
old one came out easily!

This reminds me of something my friend, who is an auto mechanic specializing in Volvos,
told me. He said that he pictured the Volvo assembly line with a blower motor being
lowered over a conveyor belt, at which point a bunch of workers come running up and build
a car around it. He said that when the blower failed the best approach was to trade in the
vehicle.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco