[Amps] SB-220 troubles

Rick Stealey rstealey at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 12:37:16 PST 2009

I have installed two safety indicators on my amp to remind me if I am about to do something stupid due to my forgetfulness or carelessness.  I have a neon bulb across part of the HV dropping resistor used for metering.  It reminds me if I am working on the amp and the HV hasn't bled down enough, or I haven't "finished it off" with my trusty screwdriver.  What I mostly use it for is to see the HV bleed down, and when it goes out there is so little HV left that I can ground out the HV without getting much of a spark.  I leave a clip lead attached to the plate choke while working.

The second one is a neon lamp across the 110 line under the chassis.  This one reminds me I haven't unplugged the amp yet.  It has come in handy more than once.  The HV one I am happy to say I have never needed yet.

To the guys who wonder what value the interlock has - you are thinking of it as it functions when you turn off the amp.  Remember, it also will protect you if you should accidentally turn on the amp while you have it exposed.

Rick  K2XT