[Amps] Minimum Value of RF Plate Chokes

Edward Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Thu Feb 19 15:00:41 PST 2009

Good Day All,

Many thanks to all who responded to me re. my recent query as to the "...black magic factor"(!) in determining the proper minimum value of plate chokes in linear amplifiers...

I was fortunate in receiving some very FB tips & guidelines in this direction, and have come to the conclusion that such devices should, essentially, be "transparent" as to any possible interaction with other components in the tank circuit.

In the case of 160-meters, my pea brain will still NOT allow me to see how a choke of some 90- to 200-uh., or so (published values, per different articles), could ever accomplish this!

I dug-up a rather interesting piece on this very subject that interested parties might wish to follow-up on. It's entitled "UNDER CONSTRUCTION - PART 16: UNDERSTANDING AND CONSTRUCTING RF CHOKES" by Doug DeMaw (W1FB), and may be found in the February 1987 issue of "QST" magazine, pp. 16 - 22.

Thanks again, fellas...

~73!~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ